Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Across the border into Canada and back to Alaska












Left Deadmans Lake AK about 7:00 am – stared out to be nice but soon got cloudy – rain coming? You betcha! Stopped at the Visitor Center at Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge. The woman there was a member of the Athabascan tribe and she said that her language was closely related to the Navajo. She could not speak to or understand the northern Eskimo people. Go figure. Arizona in Alaska.

On in to Yukon Territories again, headed south. No hassle at the border. Stopped at Beaver Creek Welcome Center where Leo made a friend. This is where the southern and northern sections of the Alcan Highway joined in November, 1942. It is also the westernmost community in Canada.

Then on to Haines AK. Passed Kluane Lake – high elevation – beautiful blue water but little surrounding vegetation and long, wide mud flats. Then on through Bear Creek Summit – snow on the ground here. And starting to rain.

Finally down in to Haines AK. At the border, I was behind a couple of trucks. And there was a boundary marker there. So, I figured that I’d get out and take a picture. Boy! You’d a thought I was Osama himself. They drew down on me and told me to get back in the vehicle. They said I could have had a gun in my camera.. Are we paranoid or what? I don’t even speak with a funny accent.

Then on in to Haines. Got a good pic of a working fish wheel on the Haines river – worked except no fish. Then bought some Ranier beer at this classy saloon in Haines and a few pics of the Haines – also our cozy camp for the night. Tomorrow, the ferry to Scagway then on to Whitehorse for resupply and maybe a shower.

Last night in AK, probably the southern point in AK for me this trip

400.5 miles today 59.08 N, 135.22 W

No comments:

Post a Comment